Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Chia Seed Breakfast Pudding

I have to confess that I’ve been resistant to jumping on the chia seed bandwagon.  I love (read: am addicted to) my kombucha, but not with chia seeds.  Chia seeds make my kombucha slimy.  And they are weird in my oatmeal.  And adding them to water is just gross.  Sorry.

But, then I started thinking.  I grew up on tapioca pudding and LOVED it.  Mom used to make us tapioca pudding quite often.  That and rice pudding were favorite after-dinner treats.  So, maybe I’d like chia seed pudding?

Turns out, I do.



Chia seeds are kind of like tapioca, only easier.  And really good for you.  Filled with protein and omega-3 fatty acids, chia seeds pack a nutrition punch.

This pudding is a good excuse to eat chocolate for breakfast—and feel really good about it.  Sweetened with dates, the pudding had no added sugar.  Just be sure to check the ingredient list on your almond milk or coconut milk and make sure no sugar sneaks in there.

It's also a super easy, make-ahead breakfast.  Just grab and go in the morning.  Or, sit it the sun and savor it.  You choose.

I hope you enjoy, with a spoon on your own, or with someone you love!


Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Chia Seed Breakfast Pudding

Makes one serving

¾ cup of unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk
½ banana
1 tablespoon peanut butter
2 dates, pitted
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons chia seeds

Place the almond milk, banana, peanut butter, dates and cocoa powder in a blender.  Blend until very smooth.


Pour the mixture into a glass container or mason jar.  Add chia seeds and stir or shake.  Place in the refrigerator overnight.  In the morning, remove from the refrigerator and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment