As a nutrition ambassador for Way Better Snacks, this post is sponsored by Way Better Snacks and I was compensated for my time. All thoughts and opinions are my own and I love working with the brand.
I still remember tasting my very first veggie burger. It was more than fifteen years ago at a restaurant called Café Mosaics on Whyte Avenue in Edmonton.
While I’ve always been drawn to vegetarian meals and dishes on restaurant menus, this one in particular left such an impression because it was that good. I’ve experimented with tons of veggie patty recipes since that first veggie burger bite, but this recipe is certainly my new favorite.
I love how uncomplicated making these are, and the Sweet Chili Way Better Snacks gives the veggie patties excellent flavor. Using a 100% whole grain, sprouted chip provides a boost of nutrition over an ordinary white breadcrumb, too.
These patties pair wonderfully with the Ginger Slaw so I wouldn't skip that step. And any leftover chips can be used to scoop up your favorite dip, such as guacamole, homemade salsa, or hummus.
In my mind, any meal chock-full with so many good-for-you ingredients, and still makes room for a few extra chips paired with your favorite dip, is a winner in my book!
Thai Sweet Chili Chip Veggie Patties with Ginger Slaw
Since these veggie patties are vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free, they appeal to a variety of dietary preferences and are a delicious option to serve at your next BBQ. Top each patty with the Ginger Slaw and avocado for a satisfying, well balanced meal.
Makes 8 small patties
¾ cup crushed Sweet Chili Way Better Snacks Tortilla Chips
½ cup lentils, uncooked
1 (15oz.) can white beans, drained and rinsed
½ onion, chopped
2 scallions, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon diced Serrano chili
1 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
¼ cup packed fresh cilantro
~ 2 tablespoons cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
2 cup cabbage, thinly shredded
2 carrots, julienned
1 cup snap peas, sliced
2 scallions, diced
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons mayonnaise (or vegan alternative)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
1. Whisk all the dressing ingredients for the Ginger Slaw in a large bowl and toss with the cabbage, carrots, snap peas, and scallions. Set aside.
2. Cook lentils in boiling water until very soft. Drain and set aside.
3. Process Way Better Snacks Sweet Chili Chips in food processor until they resemble breadcrumbs. Remove and set aside.
4. Next in your food processor, add onion, scallions, garlic, and Serrano chili until finely diced.
5. To that, add the beans, cooked lentils, cumin, soy sauce, ginger, and cilantro, and pulse until just incorporated.
6. Lastly add the processed Way Better Snacks Chili Chips and pulse until a soft dough forms together.
7. Divide the mixture into 8 equal parts and lightly flatten into small patties.
8. In a large frying pan, adding about 1 tablespoon of oil at a time, cook the patties in batches, a few minutes on each side, until lightly brown and crisp. Remove to a piece of paper towel to drain.
9. Top the patties with the Ginger Slaw and serve with sliced avocado.
Nutrition analysis for Thai Sweet Chili Chip Veggie Patties per serving:
Calories: 174; Fat: 6.4g; Saturated Fat: 0.7g; Carbohydrates: 23g; Fiber: 6g; Sugar: 2g; Protein: 7g
Enjoy, preferably with those you love!