Thursday, October 9, 2014

Healthy Berry & Grape Waldorf Salad

It’s Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend. My extended family is getting together in the town my grandma lives; it's a place that every time I visit conjures up happy childhood memories.  



From my experience, my American friends love to learn that Canadian Thanksgiving is just like American Thanksgiving – the same menu and the same decorations – we just celebrate earlier. And because of this, we don’t really associate it with the start of the holiday season. 

I’m so happy I have Alberta to call home and to be celebrating Thanksgiving (even if it's from afar) this weekend. But, my family often teases that they knew I was destined for California living. So while I’ll be celebrating Thanksgiving this weekend, I’ll be adding a touch of summertime to my meal at home, and will also be serving it in Californian-inspired sunshine-y dishes.

This recipe below will be on my menu.

Wishing all Canadians a very happy Thanksgiving!


Healthy Berry & Grape Waldorf Salad

Healthy Waldorf Salad



This Waldorf salad is a nice side-dish to enjoy during the autumn months while still incorporating aspects of summer. The earthiness of apples and walnuts are nicely balanced with the sweetness of berries.

Ingredients:
1 large apple, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 cup seedless grapes, sliced in half
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 cup reduced fat (2%) plain Greek yogurt
1 cup frozen and thawed raspberries


Instructions:
1.     Combine first 5 ingredients and stir until will mixed.
2.     Stir in Greek yogurt.
3.     Gently fold in the raspberries.


Enjoy, preferably with those you love!


Healthy Waldorf Salad



No comments:

Post a Comment