Monday, July 21, 2014

{Recipe ReDux} Mango, Yogurt & Almond Medley

This weekend in Los Angeles, we had a nice little break from the intensely hot weather we’ve been experiencing lately. The past couple of mornings were slightly overcast, the air had a cool breeze, and we even received a few drops of unexpected rain.


The weather is scheduled to heat up again this week which has me brainstorming of simple, no-cook nutrient-rich recipes I can whip up in a cinch.



For me, this often equates to fruit and yogurt parfaits. When it comes to yogurt, Lisa and I like to opt for reduced-fat, unsweetened varieties. I usually stir vanilla extract, cinnamon, and a little bit of honey into my plain yogurt, but the addition of almond extract to yogurt – as shown in the recipe below – kicks up the flavor to a whole new level. I highly recommend you try it especially if you’re hoping to make the transition from flavored, sweetened yogurt to plain. 



Mango, Yogurt & Almond Medley





Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 pound bag of frozen mango chunks, thawed
The juice & zest of 1 lemon
1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
2 teaspoons honey
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup toasted almond slivers

Instructions:
1.      In a small bowl, combine yogurt with lemon juice & zest, honey, and almond extract. Stir until well combined.
2.      In a medium bowl, combine thawed mango chunks and yogurt mixture.
3.      Serve desired portion into a small bowl and top with 2 tablespoons almond slivers.



Enjoy, preferably with those you love!


4 comments:

  1. Mmm, I have a mango tree that is full as we speak, so I make mango parfaits all the time for breakfast during July usually! :)

    xoxo Sarah Grace, Fresh Fit N Healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, it doesn't get much better than that! We are a complete mango-kick lately :) Hope you enjoy the recipe!

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious. I recently discovered the joys of plain Greek yogurt with cold mango a few weeks ago, but now I think I need to try again it with lemon zest and honey- yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The almond extract was such a delightful surprise in the yogurt, too! I'm completely hooked :)

      Delete