Most of us easily find ways to include veggies into our evening meal; we pair the main course with a green salad, load the casserole with spinach or cauliflower, or include side dishes of roasted broccoli and asparagus.
But, trying to eat the day’s allotment of vegetables in one meal is not an easy task. That's why it's a good idea to start including veggies into your meals earlier in the day.
For breakfast, there are tons of delicious ways to enjoy a serving or two of vegetables. Think: sautéed spinach and pepper with black beans in a breakfast burrito, roasted potatoes and onions topped with a poached egg, or a tomato-filled frittata.
When it comes to lunch, we’ve always been such big fans of keeping prepared whole meal salads on hand, like this one and this one.
This salad is my new favorite as it incorporates sweet flavors of summertime and features massaged kale, a green then tend to hold up much better than other green leafies that quickly wilt and make your beautiful salad look a little sad.
Here’s the recipe!
Wild Rice & Massaged Kale Salad
2 cups wild rice, cooked and cooled
4 cups kale
¼ teaspoon salt
½ lemon, juice and zest
1 teaspoon cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
6 ounces blueberries, washed
1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped (about 8 -10 apricots)
½ cup pomegranate seeds
¼ cup toasted pumpkin seeds
¼ cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
¼ cup orange juice
1 ½ tablespoon cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
Salt & pepper, to taste
1. Place the washed, stemmed and cut kale into a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt (about ¼ teaspoon), the juice and zest of ½ a lemon, and teaspoon olive oil. Massage the kale leaves between your hands, until you see the kale turn a dark, shiny green.
2. To toast the pumpkin seeds by placing them in a dry skillet over medium heat. Stir the seeds with a wooden spoon until then begin to puff up and turn slightly golden. Remove the seeds and set aside.
3. To make the dressing, whisk together the orange juice, olive oil, garlic salt and pepper.
4. Combine massaged kale, wild rice, blueberries, apricots, pomegranate seeds, pumpkin seeds, and dressing to a large bowl.
5. Mix in the dressing.
6. If desired, top with feta cheese.
Makes 4-6 servings.
Enjoy, preferably with those you love.