This is the time of year when spring time gatherings are in full-swing. Barbeques, bridal showers, and birthday celebrations are filling up my calendar quickly.
And every time I’m asked to attend a pot-luck style event, I usually resort to one of these two dishes:
1. Full meal salads, such as this onethat is always a hit
2. Fresh veggies or fruit with scrumptious dip – such as these ideas below.
This classic hummus dip is a perfect snack or appetizer at your next gathering. It pairs well with fresh cut veggies or tortilla chips, and makes for a healthier option than other creamy dips and dressings. Plus, this homemade hummus is kind to your wallet. An 8 ounce container of organic hummus can cost as much as $4 in the grocery store, but this recipe can be made for a fraction of the cost.
1 clove garlic
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 15 ounce can garbanzo bean
¼ cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
¼ cup Greek yogurt (or plain yogurt)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
½ teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1. Drain garbanzo beans and rinse under cold, running water. Add beans to a food processor.
2. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic clove and cook, flipping the garlic clove occasionally, until the garlic is golden brown but not dark.
3. Add garlic with oil to the beans in the food processor and puree.
4. Add tahini, yogurt, lemon juice, cumin, salt and pepper. Puree bean mixture until smooth. If the hummus is too thick, add water, one tablespoon at a time, until you reach the desired consistency. Taste as you go, and adjust salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil if necessary.
Fruit Skewers with Peach Yogurt Dip
Nothing is more satisfying than sweet, refreshing fruit on warm days. Pair these skewers with our peach dip and its guaranteed to be snack or dessert all ages will love.
Ingredients for the skewers:
8 whole fresh strawberries with tops removed
8 medium chunks pineapple
8 medium chunks watermelon
8 medium chunks mango
8 medium chunks honeydew melon or cantaloupe, or papaya
Ingredients for yogurt dip:
1 medium very ripe peach or nectarine, peeled and chopped
1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoon honey
To make the skewers:
Thread the skewers with 1 strawberry, 1 chunk pineapple, 1 chunk melon, 1 chunk mango, 1 chunk watermelon. Repeat until the skewer is full. Place skewers on a platter.
To make the dip:
Put the chopped peach or nectarine, Greek yogurt, vanilla, and honey in a blender. Blend until smooth, being carefully not to over-mix (you still want a thick consistency). Pour in a small serving dish.
Refrigerate until ready to be served. Serve skewers with dip.
What are your go-to potluck dishes? We'd love to hear them!