Tuesday, October 25, 2011

You Can Have Your Cake and Eat It, Too


Last week, I spent some time at College of the Canyons working with SNAC - the Student Nutrition & Wellness Advocates at COC - for their Healthy Student BODY Fitness Walk. This amazing group of students, led by Registered Dietitian, Sheri Barke, organized this fitness walk on campus with six stations set up along the way to deliver their unique messages about body image and real beauty. 

I felt so fortunate to be part of this day with them because promoting healthy body image is something which resonates deeply with me. 

I realize as a society, we spend countless moments thinking about our appearance and criticizing our imperfections when we could be using those moments doing so much more. I want the people I care about to spend their time pursuing what makes them happy rather than chasing after an unattainable image or someone else’s ideal. Our brain cells, time, energy and passion deserve to focus on living a healthy, active, fulfilling life. Our time is meant to be spent with people we love, eating good food, eating real food, traveling, laughing, hiking, sweating, dancing, swimming, surfing, picture taking, reading, writing, cooking, baking, singing, snowboarding, skiing, painting, organizing, gardening, being happy, and doing so much more–than obsessing about food or perfection. And my theory is once you learn to appreciate your body and everything it allows you to do, you’re much more likely to take care of it. 

As a dietitian, I think eating well isn’t about perfection. Some days, you’re going to eat too much. Some days, you’re going to eat too little. And some days, you’re going to have a piece of cake simply because the occasion calls for it. And, that’s OK. There’s room for every type of food in a balanced diet. If you don’t eat the most nutritious one day, try not to stress about it. Go to bed and wake up in the morning with a fresh perspective. View the new day as an opportunity to take care of yourself. 

 As for the body perfection part - I know I’m just one person when I say this, but when someone is comfortable in his or her own skin – they radiate and I love it. 

 So, you really can have your piece of cake and eat it too. And enjoy it! Because tomorrow morning you can treat yourself to a nutritious breakfast. 

 
Love,


McKenzie




No comments:

Post a Comment